Contact Us The law firm of Michael S. Rothmel, LLC

Our Practice

October 2016 Archives

Kicker's release shines light on domestic violence in the NFL

Many people in New Jersey are victims of domestic violence, and they are far from alone. More than 10 million people are harmed by an intimate partner each year, reports the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and some offenders display a repeated pattern of behavior.

Four Changes to New Jersey's Alimony Laws

In September of 2015, New Jersey Governor Christie signed the Alimony Reform Act into law, updating the state's alimony laws. The new law codified much of the case law that had developed since it was first drafted in the early 1970s. The new law contains several important changes, as follows.

What happens if I do not receive my child support payments?

If a New Jersey court has ordered child support payments but you have not been receiving them from your child’s other parent, your situation is not hopeless. There are steps that can be taken and government resources that exist that can help you recover the payments that you are owed. According to the New Jersey Department of Human Services, the Child Support Program is able to assist in enforcement actions in a few different ways.

The potential risks of following common marriage advice

There are a lot of common pieces of advice out there regarding relationships. This includes various bits of folk wisdom on marriage. However, just because a piece of marriage advice is commonly bandied about in public doesn’t mean it is accurate or a good thing for couples to follow. Some pieces of marriage folk wisdom may be outright wrong for a couple.

Child care a major financial factor for many New Jersey families

When it comes to child support matters, there are a wide range of things that can end up having significant long-term implications. One is what is ultimately decided regarding how child care costs will be divided between the two parents. So, when it comes to child-care-related matters in child support cases, a parent may want to get advice from a skilled child support lawyer.